Thursday, 20 December 2012

My First Quilt............. 'The Chick Quilt'

 My first quilt I made was for the second love of my life.( First one being obvious).

It is called "Spring Chick Cot Quilt" by Janet Goddard.

I must say that I was inspired by the group "Desi Quilters" very much. It is an Indian group that welcomes all from anywhere in the world, to share our joys and sorrows along with ofcourse quilting. Our love for quilts is what binds us together and makes us feel like friends and sisters, people whom we have grown to like and look forward to meeting soon in person.

Any way back to my project. I used fabric from stash. The original quilt was in bright yellow but since I did not have any, I used mustard instead. I did all the cutting with scissors as I did not own a mat and rotary cutter then. Plus I did want to know how it felt to do it with basic tools. Well to be honest it wasn't hard at all. ( I guess coz I haven't used the advanced toosl as yet, it's going back to basics that is difficult I think). There are six Chicks that are all machine appliqued. This is where I learnt my first machine appliqueing. It got better with each chick. A total of six blocks and the finished size is 38" by 52".

This one will always be special as it will always remain my first.So here it is the "Chick quilt".


Quilt Top
Here's a close up of a chick which is machine appliqued.

The completed quilt
Here's my sonny boy ready to claim his quilt.
And here he has claimed it.
This post is dedicated to lots more quilt to come.



4 comments:

  1. i am impressed..i want to learn,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veena,

      let me know if I can be of any help.

      Delete
  2. Very nice; your little ones looks thrilled to have it. Oddly enough my first machine applique quilt was chickens as I had a friend who keeps them.

    ReplyDelete